One of the most compelling reasons to attend a Christian boarding school is to prepare for college, a career, & life. Attending a Christian boarding school, such as Monterey Bay Academy, surrounds young people with healthy role models and also places them in an environment of complete academic excellence. For youth and their families, it is never too late to start planning for the future. It is also never too soon. What should you study in high school and college?
This is potentially one of the most important questions a student can ask. What to study depends on the degree pursued. Of course, the desired degree depends on the journey a person wants to experience in life. Deciding what you want to study and major in while attending school does not have to be a shot in the dark.
Self-Discovery Is the Key…
You can read a thousand books on the subject, but until you practice and experience self-discovery it will never bring about personal knowledge. Spend quality time considering the things you like to do. Where do you see yourself 20 years down the road? Can you imagine your career? Do you have a family, and are your children getting ready for college?
In the present, who are the people you enjoy associating with? How are you spending time at and away from school? Beyond school, what type of material do you enjoy reading? How aware are you of the importance of being able to make good decisions?
When researching a career, research in ways that can reveal if your desired career is a realistic option. Here are several tips that can help:
- Talk to career counselors. They are always willing and ready to assist. Of course, the sooner you speak with a counselor the better. They can help you chart a path to success.
- Conduct research through the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook which offers detailed information about careers, median pay, training offered for your field, education levels needed for entry and the projected number of jobs for that field. While nothing is set in stone, the information is quite relevant.
- When considering what your career will likely pay, consider if the income will cover student loans, home and vehicle purchases, and even retirement planning. Dream careers may not always be financially practical. Always remember to find a career doing the things you love.
- Try to gain experience by volunteering. For many, this has been a tried and proven way to learn first-hand about an occupation. An internship can be an entry to employment in some cases. There is no downside to serving an internship. Individuals can always gain a valuable learning experience.
- Ask a thousand questions. Your counselors are an excellent source. People in your desired career field can also provide relevant and timely information. Inquire about the most common entry-level positions, recent trends and developments in the industry, opportunities for advancement, and the rate of career turnover.
- Your school instructors or professors are an additional source of information. Be sure not to overlook family members who are in the know. Most of all trust your own instincts and judgment once you have gathered a considerable amount of information.
Study the Habits of Successful People
Successful people are often where they are in life because of habits they have developed. Your habits can determine as much as 95% of your behavior. Everything you are today, and can be tomorrow, is determined largely by the habits you develop along the way. Successful people all have certain habits in common.
1. They set and achieve goals. These are people who know what they want, and they have taken the care and time to write those goals down.
2. Successful people believe in results. They learn continually and they understand the value of time management. They chase results.
3. Successful people also believe in taking action. They get the job done successfully and quickly. The word procrastination is not in their vocabulary. They have arrived at a point in life where they can push doubt and fear completely to the side. Their actions and beliefs assure their success.
4. Successful people understand the value of positive relationships. Kindness, compassion, patience, and understanding all mean something to them. Much of the success in life comes from the ability to get along with others.
5. Honesty is also a hallmark that can lead to true success. The character you develop can take you a long way in life or it can hold you back.