No one who has lived a noble life will dispute the power and benefits of a sound education. An education imparts knowledge of the world around us. It gives people a chance to change things and to make the world a better place. Education also helps individuals to form opinions and to evaluate life from a different set of perspectives.
A Christian college Prep School can teach youth the value of being independent. When a person has their life together, and they know that they can handle challenges head-on, it can be empowering. Students learn to navigate the concourse and have to tend to their own personal responsibilities.
Their parents are not around to shield them if they fail at a task. A Christian boarding school can be a great, controlled, environment for students to learn the meaning of independence. Students can also learn the value of setting priorities.
Whether a parent or young adult, there are key indicators that can help you make an informed decision of whether a school of interest is the right choice.
1. Conduct research to find out the percentage of students that go on to graduate from college. There’s a difference between a college prep program that prepares students for admission to college—or one that prepares students to obtain a college degree. Check whether the school’s graduates attend a community college or a four-year institution.
2. Does the school provide a curriculum that clearly prepares students for college? Not only must courses comply with college-ready standards, but instructors must teach those courses well. It’s only natural that teachers will vary in how they integrate those college-ready standards in their daily instructions. Make sure the school’s instructors possess the right teaching qualifications.
3. Another indicator of a prep school’s qualifications is how well students perform on their SAT or ACT exams. Most colleges accept either the SAT or ACT. Do your homework to find out in advance whether your college of interest has a preferred test for admission.
4. What is the percentage of students who actually take the SAT or ACT? This is a critical percentage. It indicates how well the school is preparing and encouraging students to take the exams.
5. Honors, AP, and IB courses are important. Does your high school of interest offer challenging courses? Check further to find out what type of grades students receive during the AP exam.
The goal of high school in today’s world should be to help prepare students for life. The challenge is that many schools aren’t prepared to deliver fresh, new outcomes. They simply don’t have the adequate data and resources available to achieve college-ready milestones for many of their students.
Most people aren’t aware that less than half of all high school students are actually ready for the rigors of college. It’s also troubling that only about 25% of high school students who take the ACT meet every test benchmark to prepare them for college.
The Role of Traditional High School Education
A large number of high school students receive an education level that preps them for entry-level jobs in the workplace. Of course, the numbers and percentages for students who never complete high school are alarming. The truth is too many traditional schools are stuck in a ditch. Consider the following statistic. The United States ranks 48th in science and math education.
When considering international math tests, the U.S. ranks near the bottom of the list for industrialized countries. The U.S. ranks in the middle for reading and science. Countries like China and Singapore are far ahead of the curve as are other developing countries.
Why Some Traditional High Schools Fall Short
Looking closer, there are a number of reasons that a traditional education and school environment may be falling short of its goal for so many students.
- Parents are not involved enough in their children’s education. Teachers can’t be expected to do the job of parents.
- Traditional high school classrooms are often overcrowded. Smaller classroom sizes provide a better student experience.
- Technology also comes with its downsides, especially now that education has become synonymous with entertainment in many ways. Kids are downloading so-called educational games as soon as their dexterity permits. Quick-hit learning academics is often the result.
At Monterey Bay Academy, we like to take an effective approach to education. Our campus offers a national and global experience where our entire faculty encourages students to pursue educational excellence. Our staff is uniquely qualified to deliver the quality of education that can help prepare students for life. We can also help our students to define and improve their relationship with God.
As a student, your quality of education matters. It will be the vehicle that most helps you to navigate the concourse of life. Choose your College Prep School education wisely.